A place to share thoughts and experiences during our journey.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Isaiah Chapters

I know this is a very "wordy" blog....especially when you are already reading plenty!!  I wanted to hurry and record some thoughts though, before they leave me!  Forgive me for writing so much, this is more for me to remember what I learned today, but I hope you will read and learn too!

So I have to admit that I got behind in my reading yesterday.  So today when the house finally got quiet, I sat down and realized I had to read not 10, but 20 pages today.....95% of which was the somewhat daunting Isaiah chapters.  I sort of laughed at the timing...of all the days to get behind, I had to get behind during Isaiah!  So I prepared myself for 20 pages of feeling sort of clueless and dove in.

Why do I keep having such little faith?  Reading pages 81-100 in an hour turned out to teach me things about those chapters that I have never learned before, even though I've read 2 Nephi probably 2 or 3 dozen times in my life.  Especially because I got to end the chapters by reading 2 Nephi 25.  It summed everything up beautifully.  Usually I read the Book of Mormon chapter by chapter.  This is good, but sometimes I think the overall messages and power of what the scriptures are teaching can come from seeing the bigger picture.  Reading pretty much ALL of Isaiah at once opened my eyes and helped me to finally begin to understand and gain a testimony of it's divinity and importance.  I always assumed it was important since it was included in the Book of Mormon, but I just would sort of get through the chapters and move on.

I can't really say that I completely understand every word now, but here are a few things I learned today:

1. These chapters are in the Book of Mormon to explain the reality of Christ.  When He comes again, He will be the only one who is higher.  (See 2 Nephi 12).  We are all dependent on Him, no one is greater than another.  In our world, so much esteem is placed on celebrities and royalty and people with money or prestige.  All of those worldly peaks and thrones they have placed themselves on are going to ultimately crumble.  None of it will matter.  Cars, clothes, houses, jewelry, appearances, money, etc etc....none of it will matter.  1 Nephi 13: 4 says that children and babes will rule over them.  Verse 9 in the same chapter says that nobody will be able to hide from it.  All of that stuff will come crashing down (perhaps literally!), and they will be left standing there with only who they have become in this life to show for themselves.  Read 2 Nephi 12:11-12....my mind always drifts to Hollywood and how a lot of people think they "have it all".  Then I read 2 Nephi 14:2 and 2 Nephi 22: 2-6 and I realize that my simple, quiet, unknown life is more valuable and precious to me than any life that looks luxurious in the world's eyes.  Because when all is said and done, I will have my family.  My faith.  My knowledge of the Savior.  My testimony.  This is the whole purpose of our life here on earth.

2. That said....it's kind of a harsh-sounding thing....to the unlearned, it makes it seem like the Lord has no mercy, and His wrath is such a horrible thing.  But this is the other thing that hit me about these chapters.  Because God IS merciful and loves us so, so much, He sent his son to atone for us, to show us the way to live so that when He does come again, instead of fearing and having no hope, we will run into His arms and rejoice.  Do you see that contrast?  I love 2 Nephi 24: 3.  It's up to us to choose our ending.

3. He doesn't just give us one chance.  2 Nephi 19:17, 20:4, 24: 26-27.  Over and over, he tells us the the Lord's hand is always stretched out to us.  Our Heavenly Father loves us SO much that He never ever turns his back on us.  He gives us chance after chance in this life to choose Him.  This is why the scriptures are so important.  This is why missionary work is so important.  Because when He does come again, our chance will be over (2 Nephi 25: 3).  The consequences of sin WILL have to be given.  He is a loving, merciful God, but He is also just.  His laws can't be changed.  One of my favorite scriptures in these pages is 2 Nephi 25: 9.  "...never hath any of them been destroyed save it were foretold them by the prophets of the Lord."  Once again, the Lord loves us SO much, that He blesses us with prophets who will warn us. Never at ANY time has the Lord inflicted wrath or destruction on the earth without a warning first.  He gives us the chance to listen, heed, obey, and in turn be protected.  Just like Lehi's family was protected from being destroyed at Jerusalem.  It's a beautiful gift.

I'm so grateful for what I was taught today by my loving Heavenly Father, who is opening my heart and pouring so much joy and peace into my life.  The Isaiah chapters aren't 'scary' to me anymore, they are beautiful, powerful, and testify of Christ's importance and love very plainly to me (2 Nephi 25: 18-20).  Being able to read 2 Nephi 25 after the Isaiah chapters was like icing on the cake.  It summed up all of my thoughts perfectly.  The Book of Mormon is true.  Each chapter and verse has been divinely put together to teach us the whole, perfect Gospel of Jesus Christ.

5 comments:

Kristi Drennan said...

Just so you know...I'm still reading. Like holy whoa! We should do a year challenge starting on Jan 1. If we read 5 pages a day for the whole year we'll read the BOM at least 4 times. That'd be like way holy whoa.

Becca Jane said...

I'm in, Kristi! I love having a goal and someone to check in with. That would be great for 2011! 5 pages will feel like cake after this, ha!

Kristi Drennan said...

That's what I was thinking. And I know I totally do better reading because you are. :)

The Full Nelson said...

I agree with you and Kristi, much easier to read when you know others are. I have actually been reading a bit more because I go away to my dad's on December 19th and know I won't get as much reading done there. 5 pages would be cake after the 10-20 pages a day I've had to do! I find that I haven't really had any huge experiences doing this reading but have experienced peace at doing what I know I should be doing. I am helpping myself qualify for blessings from our Father in Heaven that otherwise may not have been available since I wasn't reading. That may not make sense!

Becca Jane said...

No, that makes perfect sense! Sometimes the simple peace of knowing the Lord is pleased with us is the BEST blessing we can enjoy in this life.