A place to share thoughts and experiences during our journey.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

"Nephi’s example teaches us that the blessings of the scriptures are far more valuable than property and other worldly things. Pursuing the things of the world can sometimes give us momentary pleasures but not lasting joy and happiness. When we seek after the things of the Spirit, the rewards are eternal and will bring us the satisfaction we seek through this mortal experience." - Elder L. Tom Perry

I love how how in 1 Nephi 13: 40, the Book of Mormon is literally testifying of itself.  I wonder what Joseph Smith thought as he realized those words were speaking about him and the work he was doing to translate the Book of Mormon.

Reading these chapters so much at one time is making me re-realize how powerful the testimonies of Christ are.  The Book of Mormon truly is another testament of Jesus Christ.  As you read the words of Lehi & Nephi (and other prophets as we go on), the reality of the Savior and his Atonement and his unconditional love  for us has been touching my heart.  My desire to serve Him is increasing.  My desire to love those around me is increasing.  My ability to relax and put my life and our future in His hands with complete faith is becoming easier each day.  I have needed that so badly the past few months, and like many of you have said already, this reading challenge has been an answer to my prayers.

4 comments:

The Full Nelson said...

I feel wonderful actually consistently reading the Book of Mormon. Had a great Enrichment activity the other night about FHE too and my testimony is growing. I am reading the kids the Book of Mormon board books also to correlate with what I'm reading. I often wonder what I could do if I was in Nephi or Lehi's position. Would I be as faithful as they were. It's incredible

Becca Jane said...

Awesome, Sonja! Isn't it amazing how QUICKLY the power of the Book of Mormon can be felt? Just a matter of days...pages!! Can't wait to hear how we're all feeling on December 31!!

The Piquant Storyteller said...

http://blog.felcore.com/2010/11/miracles.html

DeAnn said...

I had the same thought about Joseph Smith. This is fun. Thanks for the challenge. 100 here we come!